dedicated to Robert Bray, written 14.11.-28.12.2010
I met this guy in Poitiers, I had seen him once before
We got into conversation about music and much more
He uttered clever theories 'bout the meaning of my name
His thought-out way of seeing things just made me feel ashamed
And then we asked a question which remained inside my brain
Should mournful songs relieve you from or better boost your pain?
Well, if you think you know the answer you are in denial
It is not that easy - think about it for a while
Suppose the times are rough and you are feeling really bad
Because your girlfriend ditched you or your dear old dog is dead
Isolation - you don't want to talk to anyone
Rather listen to a stranger so you put a record on
But if a song is sad what do you listen to it for?
Is it supposed to cheer you up or floor you even more?
Or maintain the melancholy that you're in so deep
Self-torture with melodies until you fall asleep
When everything's a mess and in your head it looks like rain
You don't want to hear of that the sun will shine again
And when you sit down on a chair to contemplate the course
You don't want to see somebody pull you up by force
You want to hear: "Old buddy I know exactly how you feel
I don't want to patronize you but let's make a deal:
Give me your attention and I will agree with you
This life ain't worth living yeah we both know that it's true"
There might be days when all of the above is incorrect
'cause no one can reliably predict how you react
To all the different subjects and solutions we provide
Exploring the relations let's switch to the other side
The common singer-songwriter will stay on top of things
A sympathetic simpleton who knows 'bout what he sings
Though actually, his innocence is nothing but disguise
Despite his own mistakes the man considers himself wise
Imagine this guy sitting in the studio alone
Strumming his guitar and howling in his microphone
Explaining why improvidence is the excuse of the youth
You nod knowingly and then he slaps you with the truth
Indoctrinating, educating - you don't notice how
(In a sense exactly what I'm doing to you now!)
Telling you that he has seen the world's innermost core
"Mr tragic troubadour, I don't trust you no more"
You don't need a doctor caring for your inner health
Since you've come to realize you take care of yourself
Write some melancholic words to let your worries out
Material for me to gossip viciously about
And if you're feeling blue tonight go spend your time alone
Leave the shutters closed and don't answer the telephone
'cause that's the only good thing about having a bad mood
It's the aqualung for diving into solitude
Retreat into your shell and then make sure that no one hears
How you celebrate your pain and wallow in your tears
But like every aqueous substance they will dry out in the end
Sometimes scientific facts are comforting my friend
Once again: "Old buddy I know exactly how you feel
I don't want to patronize you but let's make a deal:
You just let me sing and meanwhile keep on being sad
This will get us nowhere still we can relate to that"
Maybe an experiment or maybe the new way
No more silly songs that praise belief in the next day
However, we are indie or at least we want to be
And I'll be damned if I do what someone expects from me
So draw your own conclusions from the points that I have shown
If you're stuck on muddy ground please get out on your own
And when this piece is over and the last bar's ringing out
You look out of the window and start wondering aloud
How you feel today
Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2010
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.