Montag, 25. Mai 2020

Song For George S. Smith

I've watched your bag, O George S. Smith
For a long long time
With all due respect, it looks as if
Now it's mine
Just a souvenir from the days of war
Which now resides behind my cellar door

It seems a little irreverent
That I can't think of a better end
Than keeping it until it is decayed
I'd like to know what it went through
Vietnam or World War II
And if you left it by design or by mistake

I've watched your bag, O George S. Smith
For quite some time
And if I knew where you lived
I'd drop by
But I just got a number and a name
And you might be six feet under anyway

It seems a little irreverent
I should travel to America and
Try to track the trails that you have tread
Visit places you have been
Maybe meet your next of kin
To pay a tribute to the life that you have lead

O George, where are you now?
I hope you made it home somehow
And you got over all the horrors you have seen
I'm glad I only know the war from the screen

Recently, in a hot August night
I had a dream where we fought side by side
And you said to me: "If this is how it ends,
I'm glad that we will leave this world as friends."

It seems a little irreverent
I wonder will this ever end
The urge of getting even at all cost
The last thing now for me to do
Is to dedicate this song to you
And me, connected by the bag that you have lost

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.